Java is a widely recognized general-purpose programming language designed for client-server web applications in particular. It has been designed to show lesser implementation dependencies and thus is class-based, concurrent and object-oriented. Extremely simple yet powerful, the Java Programming language was developed by James Gosling and introduced by Sun MicroSystem in the year 1995.
It has been developed to be the platform-independent programming language and thus shows similarity to C++ in numerous aspects. Usually, it leads to the compilation of the bytecode instruction set and a defined binary format as per the Java Virtual Machine Specification.
Categories of Java Editions:
Sun MicroSystem supports and has defined four Java editions that target different environments, applications and has segmented its various APIs in order to make sure that they belong to any one of the platforms. Following are the platforms:
· Java Card: It allows Java-based applications to run securely on the smartcards and other similar smaller devices.
· J2ME/ Java 2Micro or Mobile Edition: Used for the development of wireless or mobile applications by utilizing the predefined protocol known as WAP.
· J2SE/ Java 2Enterprise Edition: It is generally used for the development of server-side applications and thus targets Internet environments or the largely distributed enterprises.
· J2SE/ Java 2Standard Edition: Generally used for the development of client-side applications and thus aims at targeting the workstation environments.
The concept of Core and Advanced Java:
In order to learn Java efficiently, one has to learn the core concept of Java first before moving onto the Advanced Java Program. This one should become proficient in the fundamentals of core Java that include: fundamentals of core Java, JDBC, Swings, Applet, JavaBeans. Core Java finds its usage in the development of general Java Applications whereas Advanced Java is used for the development of enterprise and web-based applications. In order to master the skills of Java Programming, you need to apply the theory to practice.
Reasons behind Learning Java Programming Language:
Java is known to be one of the best and essential programming languages used for the development of successful applications and software. Following are the reasons that make Java programming language worth learning:
· It is the topmost development platform
· Majority of the desktops, about 97%, at various organizations run Java
· Billions of devices run on Java
· It has created numerous Job opportunities
· It is an object-oriented Programming language
· Quite easy to learn and has tons of information
· It comprises of powerful development tools
· Great Community support
· It finds its usage in the real world applications
· Used globally and offers higher pay packages to the professionals